A Registered Agent is a responsible third-party who is physically located in the same jurisdiction in which a business entity was established and who is designated to receive service of legal process notices (eg law suits), correspondence from the Registrar of Companies, and other official government notifications, on behalf of the Company/Entity.
Why Do I Need a Registered Agent?
Every Offshore Company must have a Registered Agent AND a Registered Office on the ground in the country of incorporation. The Registered agent will accept documents on your behalf. The jurisdiction in which your business is registered needs to know it has a contact person for your business within the jurisdiction at all times; accordingly, PO boxes are not acceptable addresses for registered agents.
These days it may not be enough to have a “brass plate” office in the country of incorporation. If you want to show some substance on the ground – and thereby minimize the chances of your Company being classified as resident or controlled from onshore – what you might want or need as part of your Corporate structure is:
- A Nominee Director resident Offshore and/or in the country of incorporation
- A local phone number in the country of incorporation
- A serviced (or, ideally, stand-alone) office in the country of incorporation
- A stand-alone PO Box in the country of incorporation
- A local tax number issued in the country of incorporation
OCI can supply all these things as part of your Company Formation package.
Would you like to know more? Then please Contact Us: